Develop Iosco hosts quarterly Community Meetings for business owners, community members, government representatives, and other interested parties. These meetings will include updates from Iosco County communities about ongoing economic development activities as well as updates from Develop Iosco regarding ongoing projects. A guest speaker will also be included on topics pertinent to business owners. Virtual and in-person attendance options are provided.
Meetings rotate locations throughout the county and are scheduled the second Thursday of the month quarterly in March, June, September and December. Doors to open at 8:30, and the program to be conducted from 9 - 11:00 am
To suggest a topic or speaker for a community meeting, please email email@example.com.
Location: Grant Township, Sand Lake Community Center (4059 Indian Lake Rd., National City)
Registration & Networking: 8:30 - 9 am
Program: 9 - 11am
TOPIC: Multiple topics including MEDC small business hub grants for Iosco County; the M-55 Pure Michigan Byway initiative; updates on current DI initiatives and much more.
Featured Speaker: Joe Carr, Target Alpena
Local Speaker: TBA
March 16 @ Burleigh Township
Whittemore Chamber Hall, 405 E Sherman St., Whittemore MI 48770
Registration & Networking 8:30 - 9 am
Program 9 - 11am
TOPIC: High Speed Internet in Iosco County
Featured Speaker: Chris Scharrer, CEO of DCS Technology Design LLC and project consultant for Iosco County’s High Speed Internet Committee
Local Speaker: Bob Leslie, Whittemore Mayor
At our community meeting on March 16, Chris Scharrer (DCS Technology) outlined the status of his work as the project consultant for Iosco County’s High Speed Internet Project.
June 8 @ Plainfield Township
Eagle Pointe Plaza, 415 E. Main St., Hale MI 48739
TOPIC: NEMCOG annual report and its impact in Iosco County
Featured Speaker: Doug Baum, NEMCOG Executive Director
Local Speaker: Fred Lewis, Plainfield Township Supervisor
September 14 hosted by Charter Township of Oscoda/ Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport Authority
Location: Warrior Pavilion, 6288 F41, Oscoda MI 48750
Featured Speaker: Various Topics (see details below)
Local Speaker: Brenda McNeill, Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport Authority
The meeting highlights of speakers and topics were as follows:
· Brenda McNeill, Property & Administrative Manager at Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport Authority, shared information about new initiatives at OWAA that impact growth in Oscoda and the surrounding communities.
· Christopher Martin, the new Director of Business Services & Economic Development for Iosco County, shared his vision for Iosco County and his experiences that led him to be unanimously selected by Develop Iosco and Michigan Works! Region 7B to serve in this new collaborative role between the two organizations.
· Richard L. Douglass, co-principal investigator from the Rural Healthcare Group, discussed a new research project “Assessment of Need for Non-Emergency Medical Transportation for Underserved, Vulnerable Aging Residents of Iosco County, Michigan” with the Central Michigan University School of Medicine, Region 9 Area Agency on Aging, and Northeast Michigan Community Services Agency (NEMCSA). The ‘why’ behind the upcoming research project related to the urgent need for non-emergency medical transportation in our community was shared.
· Chris Scharrer, DCS Technology Design consultant for Iosco County, provided an update about the High-Speed Internet Expansion project to increase access to unserved and underserved residents through the recent ROBIN grant with Point Broadband.
· Lisa Bolen (co-chair of Quad County Childcare Coalition provided an update about the Coalition’s work during the past six months to identify the barriers delaying access to childcare in Iosco, Arenac, Alcona and Ogemaw counties. This update is a preliminary report ahead of the final findings expected to be released in November 2023.
December 14 @ East Tawas Community Center, 760 Newman St., East Tawas MI 48730
TOPIC: Best Practices in Rural Economic Development
Featured Speaker: Justin Horvath, Shiawassee Economic Development Partnership (see below)
Local Speaker: Brent Barringer, East Tawas City Manager
In addition to being our annual meeting, we will have networking and breakfast from 8 - 9 a.m. (sponsored by TCA Insurance).
We are also excited to be giving out our inaugural "economic development volunteer of the year award" in addition to a few others.